Writing a Eulogy
Where Do I Start?
- How do you sum up a life?
- Stories can be told… Memories recalled…
- Maybe start with a poem or reading?
- Milestones can be wonderful…
- Birth… Marriage… Moves and changes of career…
- Birthplace, school, where they lived – these are all important.
A eulogy should call to mind special memories. It’s important to talk about this special person, their interests, achievements and family life.
Tell stories… Share fun times – even the naughty things! Some people may feel they can’t speak – but have things to say.
Check if they want to offer some words or a precious memory. It’s sometimes a good idea to show photos or treasured objects from a person’s life at the funeral service or play a special piece of music to help symbolise a loved ones life.